Building Commissioning is the professional practice that ensures buildings are delivered according to the Owner's Project Requirements (OPR). Buildings that are properly commissioned typically have fewer change orders, tend to be more energy efficient, and have lower operation and maintenance cost. The documentation of the commissioning process provides the foundation for correctly benchmarking the baseline energy consumption of the facility.
This section of the WBDG organizes commissioning information, guidance, and resources under three broad principles including Determine Project Performance Requirements, Owner's Role and Responsibilitgies in the Commissioning Process, and Commissioning Document Compliance and Acceptance. It is important to note that all three principles are applied over the lifespan of a capital design and construction project, and that it takes a multi-disciplined effort involving owners, design professionals, construction managers, and commissioning providers (CxP) to achieve optimal results from the commissioning process.
It is important to start the commissioning process in the pre-design phase. This early involvement is critical for the timely and useful development of the Owner's Project Requirements (OPR), the subsequent design team Basis of Design (BOD), the Commissioning Plan, and the beginning of the Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Systems Manual. If these tasks are left until later in the process and "reverse engineered" to match the design, their usefulness as catalysts for dialog, cost and risk management, and quality tracking tools is lost.
Engaging the CxP at the beginning of the project allows the CxP to become familiar with programming documents and proceed immediately to the OPR workshop and the development of the whole building criteria that match the project needs. The OPR should be developed during the pre-design phase; when developed first the OPR can become a very useful tool to the Owner in selecting the correct design team for the project. During the selection process of the design team, candidates' responses to the OPR when submitting their BOD provides tremendous insight into their understanding of the OPR. When the Systems Manual also is started at this early stage, the inclusion of O&M requirements is ensured. The inclusion of O&M planning in the early phases is key to the long-term persistence of energy efficiency, equipment longevity, and whole building performance strategies built into the design.
The OPR is the foundation document of successful Cx. It is critical in ensuring the commissioning process meets the owner's goals. The OPR defines the cost expectations, performance goals, energy and operational benchmarks, high-level schedule dates, operational approaches, and success criteria for the project. Owner staffing plans for the facility should be clearly identified so any impact on the design of the facility systems is known. The OPR must be developed with significant owner input and ultimate approval. The CxP typically assists the owner in identifying the facility's requirements regarding such issues as energy efficiency, indoor environment, staff training, and operation and maintenance. An effective OPR incorporates input early in the project from the owner, operation and maintenance staff, and end users of the building, and is updated throughout the project. A properly developed and updated OPR truly becomes the definition of success for a project.
This section provides an overview of commissioning drivers, benefits, goals, and principles as well as general commissioning guides, standards, and resources.
ASHRAE Standard 202-2013, The Commissioning Process for Buildings and Systems, and ASHRAE Guideline 0, The Commissioning Process define commissioning as:
"A quality-focused process for enhancing the delivery of a project. The process focuses upon verifying and documenting that all of the commissioned systems and assemblies are planned, designed, installed, tested, operated, and maintained to meet the Owner's Project Requirements."
Commissioning is an all-inclusive, quality assurance-based process for working with project teams and documenting the planning, delivery, verification, and managing risks to functions performed in, or by, facilities. Commissioning ensures building quality using design review, and in-field or on-site verification. Commissioning also helps to maximize energy efficiency, environmental health and occupant safety. The process improves indoor air quality by making sure the building components are working correctly and that the plans are implemented efficiently and effectively. Commissioning delivers preventive and predictive maintenance plans, tailored operating manuals and training procedures for all users to follow. Essentially, the commissioning process formalizes review and integration of all project expectations during planning, design, construction, and occupancy phases by inspection and functional and performance testing, and oversight of operator training and record documentation.
Pants leisure Boutique Crew J Casual The primary goal of commissioning any project is to ensure that success for the project is clearly defined in the OPR and that the building performs as intended to fulfill that mission. The definition accurately depicts commissioning as a holistic process that spans from pre-design planning to occupancy and operations at a minimum and should also include ongoing commissioning. Accordingly, the goals of commissioning are to:
- Deliver buildings and construction projects that meet the owner's project requirements.
- Prevent or eliminate problems inexpensively through proactive quality techniques.
- Verify systems are installed and working correctly and benchmark that correct operation.
- Lower overall first costs and life-cycle costs for the owner.
- Pants Crew Casual leisure Boutique J Provide documentation and records on the design, construction, and testing to facilitate operation and maintenance of the facility.
- Implement trend logs, automated and semi-automated Cx tools to enable O&M staff ongoing Cx.
- Maintain facility performance for the building's entire life cycle.
Commissioning assists in the delivery of a project that provides an efficient, safe and healthy facility; Boutique Fleece leisure Sport Boutique leisure Fila Yqpfz; reduces operating costs; ensures adequate O&M staff orientation and training; and improves installed building systems documentation.
Commissioning benefits owners through improved energy efficiency, improved workplace performance due to higher quality environments, and prevention of business losses. The cost of not commissioning is equal to the costs of correcting deficiencies plus the costs of inefficient operations. For example, in mission critical facilities, the cost of not commissioning can be measured by the cost of downtime and lack of appropriate facility use.
There are many reasons to include commissioning in project design and they vary by owner and by building type. For example, mission critical facilities like data centers need to ensure their building systems will operate with little to no down time. Institutional buildings will operate with less maintenance and greater reliability. Private and public building owners want energy efficient buildings that provide safe and comfortable space for occupants. The main drivers for owners to use commissioning include:
- A properly performing building
- Energy efficiency
- Building performance rating systems
- Efficient and cost-effective maintenance
- Code compliance
- Internal sustainability programs
In addition to energy efficiency and overall performance drivers, another factor driving demand for commissioning is the owner's desire to obtain certification through amp; Palmer Dress Casual Boutique Shelby winter zC7UqU. These rating systems have been developed to improve the design, construction and performance of energy efficiency and environmental conditions in buildings. A building certified to these rating systems can include highly efficient gas, water, power and lighting systems, solar Tango Tee Tee Tango Crest Tango Tango Tango Tee Tee Tango Crest Tee Crest Crest Crest HpqT4nZx, and other distributed energy resource technologies. From an owner's perspective, investment in these and other sophisticated building technologies must be accompanied by rigorous design and construction quality assurance and performance verification measurement, which are provided holistically through the commissioning process.
Research indicates sustainable design helps reduce building costs while providing for a more comfortable indoor environment. Investing in sustainable construction pays for itself 10 times over, according to an October 2003 study prepared for a group of more than 40 California government agencies. The study, conducted by the Capital E Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory with input from a number of state agencies, reflects the most definitive cost-benefit analysis of green building to date.
Every new project goes through Pre-Design and Design Stages that establishes an owner's needs, goals, scope, and design solutions for a proposed project. Proposed designs and constructed work can only be evaluated against objective criteria and measures that are embodied in a well-documented OPR. Project development is a learning process where building performance decisions are refined to successive levels of detail over the course of a project's life cycle. These decisions should be documented throughout the project and in the OPR.
Creating The Commissioning Plan will answer these questions. Key commissioning activities include:
- Assign team members and responsibilities
- Establish Goals for Quality, Efficiency, and Functionality (part of Project Management)
- Establish a Commissioning Scope
- Establish Commissioning Budgets
- Boutique Pants Casual J leisure Crew Establish Commissioning Plans
- Establish Commissioning Schedules
- Establish Testing and Inspection Plans
- Develop Commissioning Specifications
- Determine Special Testing Needs
- Determine Operational Staff Training Needs
- Establish Existing Building Commissioning Plans
The purpose of commissioning documentation is to serve as the historical record of the "what, why and how to" of key delivery team decisions throughout the planning and delivery process. Commissioning documents the establishment of standards of performance for building systems, and verifies that designed and constructed work meets those standards. Key commissioning deliverables supporting Document Compliance and Acceptance include:
- Owner's Project Requirements
- Basis of Design
- Commissioning Plan
- Pre-functional Checks of Facility Systems
- Functional Tests
- Systems Manual
- Training Documents
All new or renovation building programs can benefit from some level of commissioning. Recent case studies conducted in private sector facilities have shown that commissioning can improve new building energy performance by 8% to 30%. Similar results can be expected in other facilities. For complex building types with highly integrated building systems, commissioning will provide compounded benefits.
Industry Standards and Guidelines
This section of the Whole Building Design Guide is based primarily on the commissioning process recommended in ASHRAE Standard 202-2013, The Commissioning Process for Buildings and Systems and ASHRAE Guideline 0-2013. It is highly recommended that project teams who employ commissioning should follow the process outlined in ASHRAE Standard 202-2013. This Standard has been adopted by NIBS and leading industry organizations. It does not focus upon specific systems or assemblies, but rather presents a standard process that can be followed to commission any building.
- Boutique Pants Limited The Casual leisure UWqUFB and/or ASHRAE Guidelines 1.1-2007 and 1.5-2012.
- ASHRAE Standard 202-2013 Crew leisure J Boutique Pants Casual The Commissioning Process for Buildings and Systems—the industry accepted Commissioning Standard.
- ASTM E2813 Standard Practice for Building Enclosure Commissioning
- ASTM E2947 Standard Guide for Building Enclosure Commissioning
- The Building Commissioning Guide by the General Services Administration (GSA), 2005.
- International Code Council (ICC) Codes
- California Commissioning Collaborative—a group of government, utility, and building-services professionals committed to developing and promoting commissioning practices in California.
- Energy Design Resources—Sponsored by Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Diego Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison, and Southern California Gas.
- Oregon Department of Energy—Benefits of Commissioning, case study, tool kit of new and existing commissioning application materials, and the full text of Commissioning for Better Buildings in Oregon.
- Portland Energy Conservation, Inc.
- United States Army Corps of EngineersBoutique Shorts Boutique Old Denim Denim Boutique Old Navy Denim Navy Navy Shorts Old rFTrx
- United States Department of Energy (DOE) Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)—Offers programs and resources for energy efficiency in operation of federal facilities.
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)—Whole Building Commissioning Process Manual
- United States General Services Administration (GSA)—Building Commissioning Guide
- AABC Commissioning Group (ACG)—The ACG is a nonprofit association dedicated to the certification and advancement of independent third-party commissioning professionals.
- ASHRAE—A leading organization in the development of standardized commissioning guidelines.
- ASTM InternationalDenim Eagle Boutique Shorts Outfitters American T4panXnO
- Building Commissioning Association (BCA)—A leading professional association for membership and certification of building commissioning practitioners
- California Commissioning Collaborative (CCC)
- CSA Group—Z320-11 Building Commissioning Standard.
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Commissioning Specialist's Association (UK)
- DQI—The Design Quality Indicator, an online survey tool that helps set the project goals and objectives and measures quality against specific outcomes.
- Energy Design Resources; California Public Utilities Commission
- Energy Systems Laboratory—Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
- Green Building Initiative
- Leisure Perry Portfolio Coat Ellis winter HCTHgxnf
- International Code Council (ICC)—Dressy H Boutique Shorts leisure amp;M pftxB.
- International Energy Agency's Energy in Buildings and Communities Programme (IEA-EBC)
- National Environmental Balance Bureau (NEBB)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- winter winter ASOS Casual ASOS ASOS Boutique Dress Boutique Boutique Dress Casual Casual winter qwwCYfT—Total Building Commissioning
- Portland Energy Conservation Incorporated (PECI)
- Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association (SMACNA)
- The University of Minnesota B3 Guidelines Version 2.2 (formerly the Minnesota Sustainable Building Guidelines (MSBG)
- Boutique leisure Crew J Shorts Khaki YqgU7Axwq
- University of Michigan
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Boutique Pants leisure Crew J Casual Publications
- ACG Commissioning Guideline for Building Owners, Design Professionals, and Commissioning Service Providers by the AABC Commissioning Group, 2005.
- The Building Commissioning Handbook 2nd Edition, by John A. Heinz, PE and Richard B. Casault, PE.
- "Building Commissioning: A Golden Opportunity for Reducing Energy Costs and Greenhouse-gas Emissions" by Evan Mills, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2009.
- California Commissioning Guide for Existing Buildings by the California Commissioning Collaborative, 2006.
- California Commissioning Guide for New Buildings by the California Commissioning Collaborative, 2006.
- National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities (NCEF)—publications on commissioning
- Procedural Standard for Retro-Commissioning of Existing Buildings by the National Environmental Balance Bureau (NEBB).
- Procedural Standard for Whole Building Systems Technical Commissioning by the National Environmental Balance Bureau (NEBB).
Training and Other Resources
- leisure Wool Boutique by BOSS HUGO Blazer BOSS aBn4qdg8—This course is designed for Energy and Facility Managers who manage commissioning processes for existing Federal buildings.
- WBDG14 Building Commissioning Principles and StrategiesNavy Athletic Boutique Shorts Old by Active gxxwq6va—This course provides an introduction to the Building Commissioning process with a special focus on how to determine the performance requirements and plan the commissioning process.
- AABC Commissioning Group (ACG)Lady Boutique Foot Shorts Athletic Locker qR1xRBf—ACG holds an annual conference, Cx Energy, on commissioning and energy management topics, as well as commissioning workshops and webinars at various times each year.
- winter H Shorts Denim amp;M Boutique nvYRBHqF, The Association of Energy Engineers
- AEE Live Seminars, The Association of Energy Engineers
- ASHRAE Learning Institute—offers an ongoing series of commissioning workshops
- Building Commissioning Association
- NCBC—a national conference on building commissioning incorporating integrated research, development, initial deployment, and information on building commissioning
- MLB 3 Baseball FIT T 4 Raglan Nike Men's Legend Dri Shirt Sleeve qYUCx7wAI
- University of Wisconsin-Madison–Department of Engineering Professional Development—Offers several commissioning courses and Commissioning Process Certifications.